Friday 30 November 2007

Questi giorni quando.....


.....vieni il belle sole - Couple of things to note here: that is without doubt the best high speed trailer I've ever had - mind you on the way back from Sterling this day, third lane 90 on the M6 earned me some bonus points ! On arriving to pick the Miura up we were met by the sound of a smoke alarm going off in the house - no answer at the door and a peek through the letter box revealed the cause. The car vendor was face down in a puddle of special brew on the door mat and there was a smouldering 6 inch hole in the carpet producing a very un-pleasant cloud of smoke where his fag had fallen from his burnt fingers. Quick soak from the garden hose through the letter box woke him up and put out the fire. I have vague memories of taking him and his girlfriend (who looked remarkably like Mini the Minx) for a curry after loading up, they travelled in the back of the pick-up with a bag full of Special Brew. On days like these - eh.

4 comments:

Peter Ashley said...

I think that's the only Miura I like. All the later ones always remind me of Rod Stewart for some reason, that tacky gold-plated taps and brown carpeted walls rockstar thing.Probably why I always admired Clapton for having an Iso Griffo, albeit sitting at the side of his Surrey stronghold with a tarpaulin over it after he'd wrapped it round something on the Esher by-pass.

Toby Savage said...

That's because, Peter, you saw the documentary in 1658 about Rod's life with blond Swedish Bombshell, Britt Eckland. He says to his driver, in the back of a Cloud 2, "Get so and so to tax the Muira". I remember it as if it were yesterday. What is it about such one liners that make you retain them, in some unused part of the brain, for a lifetme?

Peter Ashley said...

God Toby you're right. I remember that, seriously. You and I are on this earth to recall such trivia. I was never really a Britt Eckland fan, but I did appreciate her stand-in's arse in The Wicker Man.

Diplomate said...

Funnily enough - her son came up to do a deal over a car (mazzer 3500 i think) - I ended up swapping a leather jacket for a very loud suit he was wearing, over a beery lunch. Landlord I think.