Monday 7 January 2008

Ready Rubbed ....


..... me thinks. Now I have been known to smoke a pipe myself but I can tell you I'm not a golfer. I'm also rather taken with the high waisted trouser idea, she seems to have the same thing going on with her shorts which is obviously what tempted him onto the fairway in the first place. Don't be fooled by the lack of smoke, I suspect he's chuffing a hot burning aromatic. This image was intended to tempt you to fly away to a Maine of the late '50s and enjoy their lovely golf courses. This period of American commercial art is my home town and I feel the urge to explore, I think my enthusiasm was aroused whilst flicking through countless old National Geographics in my youth - the car adverts were quite stunning and I'm building up a collection. I just thought this picture sums up the naive directness of that genre so well.

7 comments:

Peter Ashley said...

Are we sure that's not Susie R on the fairway?

Diplomate said...

well - not absolutely. What we can be more sure of is that his chances of success are pretty high. His posture, attire and evident charm are going to be overwhelming when combined with the apparent confidence that allows a man to conduct a chase with a pipe firmly gripped in his mouth. I can't help thinking he has got himself into this advantageous position by offering some guidance to the un-suspecting lady in the finer points of golf - " not to tense now my dear, a light grip and a smooth stroke .... here let me come around behind ..."

Peter Ashley said...

The more I look at it, and it is wonderful, I keep thinking it's Philip Larkin. Except he'd have never have been seen dead on a golf course unless he'd had a heart attack whilst taking a short cut to the library.

Affer said...

Well, let's be clear: he is not chasing her....it is the other way around. A man like that would ensure that his *ahem* "pupil" was properly dressed. Look at her shoes: you couldn't play in those - you would fall over at the first swing!

No, she is in fact a serving wench from the clubhouse who has seen an opportunity to inveigle her way into this man's pension scheme (he is probably a retired Actuary) which she plans to access by driving him into excessive use of his niblick.

The semiotics of this ad almost certainly resulted in the golf courses of Maine being inundated with ladies of a certain age in unsuitable clothing, whilst the men all bought Pringle sweaters and rushed off to Portugal where at least they could get a proper game of golf.....

Diplomate said...

No doubt about the shoes - and serving wench is about right, however I would venture that he is indeed the chaser here. Couple of Seagram's 7 Crowns after lunch and a glimpse of her Peter Pan Freedom Ring through her blouse as she wiped down his table have left him champing at the bit. " i was thinking of a little putting practice my dear, care to join me when you finish here ...." "why - Mr Wolfstein, I'd adore it .."

Peter Ashley said...

Here we go. Diplo's been watching The Parent Trap again.

Diplomate said...

Oh for heaven's sake Peter, this is very important stuff and not to be confused with Miss Mills in her jim-jams ( which i suspect is where your thoughts are turning to)